Skip to main content

Using School Buildings

City Schools is working to keep school communities safe so activities and events can continue in a safe environment. Here you can find information about the steps we’re taking during the COVID pandemic and what’s happening now in our schools,

Permits will be issued for events/activities occurring inside or outside the building. There are no restrictions on event/activity type or capacity.   Mask usage will be optional for all in attendance.

Interested in baseball or softball fields? Check out an exciting opportunity at Medfield Heights Elementary!

Applying for a permit

In some cases, outside organizations may need permits or leases, as described in Board of School Commissioners policy and accompanying regulations. Otherwise, apply for your permit today and hear back within 5 business days! 

permit application process



Apply for a Permit

Frequently Asked Questions

What events qualify for permits?

An event qualifies for a permit if it is

  • Open to the general public and not personal in nature
  • An educational, civic, social, religious, or recreational activity by a nonprofit organization for nonprofit activity
  • A nonprofit activity (such as an athletic program, fund-raising activity for charitable purpose, or employee-related activity) for a for-profit organization
  • Organized so that the safety and security of students, teachers, staff, and the general public are maintained
  • Held at a time that will not interfere with regular school sessions or educational activities and programs
  • An approved political activity*

*Elected officials are welcome to come into schools as part of their official responsibilities, and media may cover these visits. Visits should not be conducted as part of a political campaign. Also, elected officials may appear at school facilities at the invitation of the principal/designee for the purpose of instruction or clarification of public issues.

What events or activities are not allowed?

  • Use or sale of tobacco in any form at all times
  • Firearms, weapons, or ammunition (consistent with any related statutes and/or regulations)
  • The sale, transfer, or consumption of alcohol, intoxicants, or controlled dangerous substances
  • Parties, celebrations, recitals, etc., that are personal or private in nature (including birthday, wedding, anniversary, and other similar celebrations)
  • Any event that involves alcohol, tobacco, intoxicants, or controlled dangerous substances
  • Gambling of any type
  • Car washes unless sponsored by City Schools, a City Schools organized parent group, or a City Schools alumni organization
  • Balloon launches and other activities that result in the release of helium-filled balloons into the atmosphere, including balloon bouquets and presentations
  • Political activities designed to campaign or solicit support for or opposition against a political candidate; campaign rallies, fundraisers, debates, forums, or meetings; campaigns for or against any pending ballot question, legislation, or partisan election issue
  • Using school facilities as a backdrop for political activities, unless the user is not located on said school facilities

If your event does not fit within these parameters, you have the option of requesting for a waiver of School Board Policy from the Board of School Commissioners in accordance with Board Policy BGF. Your written waiver request should be filed at least 60 days prior to your event date. Please see Board Policy BGF for the waiver details.

What is the difference between a permit and a lease?

Generally, a permit is required for a single day or multiple day event utilizing shared space. A lease is needed if use of exclusive space within the building or the entire building for an extended period of time greater than 1 year.

If you are requesting a lease, memorandum of understanding, or right of entry, you may not use the electronic request form. You must use the paper Space and Use Agreement form


How do I get an event permit using the paper/PDF form?

The Majority of our outside users only need a permit.  If you are a school partner/vendor/contractor and need an MOU, lease or Right of Entry, please contact the Office of Real Estate and Permits for the correct application.


The Majority of our outside users only need a permit.  If you are a school partner/vendor/contractor and need an MOU, lease or Right of Entry, please contact the Office of Real Estate and Permits for the correct application.


How can a company get permission to install a wireless antenna on school property?

  1. Complete the wireless application.
  2. Submit the completed application and application fee for $1,000 payable to the Board of School Commissioners to the Real Estate and Permits department.
  3. A City Schools staff member will contact you concerning your request within three business days.

Do I have to pay fees?

It depends. Fees are divided into categories covering building use, staffing that may be required (e.g., school police, custodian), and surcharges (e.g., for turf fields or use of stadium lights for athletic activities). Please refer to the fee schedule for more details. Please note that in cases where fees are payable, no waivers will be granted.

Can I make a donation to the school instead of paying a fee?

No, making a donation or contribution to the school will not help with issuing your permit, and will not affect the amount of the fee charged.

How do I pay the fees?

Send a certified check, organizational check, or money order made payable to Board of School Commissioners to

Baltimore City Public Schools
Real Estate and Permits
200 E. North Avenue
Room 407A
Baltimore, MD 21202

Payments can also be made in person by appointment at the address above. Please do not pay school personnel. Cash or personal checks are not accepted.