Skip to main content
Open all alerts
Possible technology service interruption.

On Friday, September 29, 2023, between 6 and 8 p.m., City Schools will be updating our technology infrastructure. This maintenance may cause intermittent service disruptions to all City Schools' technology services. This includes any systems that require internet access and cloud-based services. Please plan accordingly. 

Expires in 11 hours

Transfer Requests

Phone: 410.396.8600
Walk-In Hours: Monday/Tuesday (9 a.m. – 4 p.m.) | Wednesday (10 a.m. - 6 p.m.)

Learn more

Online Registration/Transfer Application

Only for Current Families

View/Download Form

Safety Transfer Request


View/Download Form

Safety Transfer Request


Transfer Window

The transfer window for summer 2023 is from July 24 through August 18. Please note that all intra-district transfer requests MUST be approved by district office staff for out-of-zone school placements. The Office of Enrollment, Choice, and Transfers is open Monday/Tuesday (9 a.m. – 4 p.m.) and Wednesday (10 a.m. - 6 p.m.).
Families can request transfer consideration to different schools if:

  • the student is in elementary school and, as a result of a recent move, the family is now zoned to a different neighborhood school.
  • the student is in middle school and, as a result of a recent move, the family is now zoned to a neighborhood school that has middle grades.
  • the student is in middle/high school and the requested, non-entrance criteria school has space availability.
  • the student is experiencing homelessness, or in need of specialized supports not available in the school or origin.

In addition to a completed transfer application (English | Spanish), the following documentation will be required upon visiting the Enrollment Office:

  • Proof of Student Identity & Age: Birth certificate or other government-issued document (passport, military ID, birth registration, DHS/DOJ/DOS immigration and refugee resettlement forms)
  • Proof of Parent/Guardian Identity: Photo ID of the parent/legal guardian (driver’s license, passport, alien/permanent resident card, military ID, employment authorization card, ISAP card, DHS/DOJ/DOS immigration and refugee resettlement forms)
  • Proof of Address (only two (2) of the following examples are required):
    • Complete, recent utility bill (gas, electric, water, telephone, or cable)*
    • Deed or title to a residential property
    • Fully-executed, property sales agreement
    • Military housing order
    • Mortgage settlement sheet
    • Original, signed (by landlord and tenant) lease agreement reflecting the name(s) of the parent(s)/guardian(s) as tenants
    • Property tax bill or statement
    • Recent bank or mortgage statement*
    • Recent employer pay stub*
    • Recent homeowner, renter, or medical insurance statement*
    • Recent letter from Social Security Administration, Social Services, Maryland Vehicle Administration, Internal Revenue Services, or Maryland Judicial System*
      • *Recent = within the last sixty (60) days
  • Other Requested Documentation
    • Academic records (recent report card and/or transcript)
    • Individualized education program (IEP) or 504 documents (if applicable)
    • Proof of custody/guardianship (if applicable)

Families can request transfer consideration for other circumstances by submitting the required documentation, in addition to the following, if applicable: 

  • Requests for transfers due to medical hardship. Statement on official letterhead from the student’s doctor or medical provider stating that the student’s current school is not able to meet the student’s medical needs.
  • Requests for transfers due to childcare hardship (for elementary school only, to request a transfer to a school closer to the parent/guardian's workplace or a caretaker's address): Statement from an employer on official letterhead stating why a school close to this location is needed; acceptance letter from a daycare providing before- or after-school care, on daycare letterhead; and/or an address verification form completed by the caretaker along with two proofs of the caretaker’s residency.
  • Requests for transfers due to safety: Completed safety transfer addendum.
  • Requests for transfers to an entrance criteria school: Student's report cards from the previous two years and latest standardized test results in reading and math.


What if the school that I wish to attend has limited space availability?

There must be space available at the receiving school for the transfer to be approved.

What if I want to transfer to a middle or high school with entrance criteria?

If you're currently in the 5th or 8th grade, you can apply for the school through the choice process for middle or high school.

If you're currently enrolled in a different middle or high school, follow the steps listed above. Keep in mind that you'll need to meet the entrance criteria requirements.

What if I've already been admitted to the school I want to transfer to?

Provide a copy of the official acceptance letter to the Office of Enrollment, Choice, and Transfers (Room 106, 200 E. North Avenue). The preferred submission method is via email at  However, you can also mail the letter or drop it off in-person so that the Enrollment team can finalize the transfer – please note that the office is open on MWF (10am -2pm).

How will I know if my transfer request has been granted?

You'll receive a placement letter by email or postal mail. Your previous (sending) school will also provide a transfer packet for the new (receiving) school to finalize the transfer request.

If my transfer request has been approved, do I start at my new school immediately?

It depends on the situation and time of the school year. In some cases, the transfer may not take place until the start of a new semester or school year.

What if I want to transfer to a charter school?

Charter schools have a different admissions process. Contact the school you're interested in to find out more.