Early admission to first grade
If your child turns six between September 2 and October 15, early admission may be possible.
To be successful in the first grade and beyond, your child must be ready. Otherwise, she or he may become stressed and frustrated, making it harder to succeed. If you decide to apply, follow these steps:
- Check with your neighborhood school to get more details about early admission.
- Review the early admission packet.
- Complete the request form (included in the packet) and return it to City Schools, Early Learning Programs, Room 308, 200 E. North Avenue between April 23 and May 23.
- Ask three people who know about child development and what your child can do (for example, a doctor, coach, teacher, or pastor) to complete the checklists in the packet and send them straight to City Schools. Two of these people must be teachers, paraeducators, principals, or other school-based staff members.
- Make sure that all paperwork is received by City Schools by May 23.
An early learning specialist will contact you to schedule a date to assess your child. No studying is required and you don't need to do anything to prepare. You and the principal at your neighborhood school will get the results by July 1.