beautiful mural

Students who do not have a bona fide residence in Baltimore City can enroll in any of our schools, but only after all city residents have been enrolled. This applies to all city schools, including charters and schools with entrance criteria.


If you're accepted into a city school as a nonresident, you will need to pay tuition. The amount is determined by the Board of School Commissioners and is currently set at $10,000/year for each nonresident student.

Payment can be made in full or through a monthly payment plan and must be accompanied by a payment authorization form. (For questions, contact the Finance Office.)

Tuition waivers

You can request a tuition waiver if:

  • Your household has suffered from undue hardship (financial or otherwise) or

  • The student’s parent or legal guardian is a City Schools employee.

If your request for a waiver is approved, you'll need to reapply for the next school year. You can apply for a waiver at any point in the school year.

If you're a City Schools’ employee who lives outside of Baltimore City, dependent child tuition waivers are available as a benefit of employment. Please note that contractual and temporary employees are not eligible. The first step is to enroll your child in City Schools by contacting the Nonresidency/Tuition team or 410-396-8600. Once you've enrolled your child, submit the Employee Dependent Child Tuition Waiver form through eForms. While tuition waiver requests can be submitted throughout the year, employees should submit the request as early as possible

Additional Questions/concerns about residency and tuition waivers should be directed by email to the Nonresidency/Tuition team or 410-396-8600.