When the district closes or delays opening, these employees who are considered directly responsible for the safe opening or closing of schools (including charter and contract schools) must report as scheduled. They include the following:
- Area facility managers
- Region techs and lead techs
- Building engineers
- Pest control staff
- Contract maintenance staff
- Custodial staff
- Grounds and repair shop personnel
- Transportation administrative staff
- Facilities administrative staff
- Mechanical services staff
- School police
- Cabinet officers ("chiefs")
- Any other employee who was notified of her or his essential designation earlier in the school year
All other personnel are considered non-essential.
School closures vs. district office closures
The decision to close, dismiss early, or delay opening may be different for schools than for the district office. Staff should check announcements and their City Schools email carefully for reporting information.
When liberal leave is announced as being in effect, employees can use accumulated vacation leave, personal leave, or compensatory time, without making the normal, advance-notice request of their supervisor. Department heads may grant time without pay to an employee who has no paid leave available for use.