Frequently Asked Questions

  • About permitted and not permitted use of City Schools facilities

    How do I know if my event qualifies for a permit?

    An event qualifies for a permit if it is

    • Open to the general public and not personal in nature
    • An educational, civic, social, religious or recreational activity by a nonprofit organization for nonprofit activity, or a nonprofit activity (such as an athletic program, fund-raising activity for charitable purpose or employee-related activity) for a for-profit organization
    • Organized in such a way so that the safety and security of students, teachers, staff and the general public are maintained
    • Held at a time that will not interfere with regular school sessions and/or other bona fide educational activities and programs of City Schools
    • An approved political activity*

    (*Elected officials are welcome to come into schools as part of their official responsibilities, and media may cover these visits.Visits from current elected officials should be in an official capacity only, and not conducted as part of a political campaign. Also, elected officials may appear at school facilities at the invitation of the principal/designee for the purpose of instruction or clarification of public issues.)

    Are there any events or activities that are not allowed?

    Yes. Please note that the following are prohibited on City Schools property:

    • Use or sale of tobacco in any form at all times
    • Firearms, weapons or ammunition (consistent with any related statutes and/or regulations)
    • The sale, transfer or consumption of alcohol, intoxicants and/or controlled dangerous substances
    • Parties, celebrations, recitals, etc., that are personal or private in nature (including birthday, wedding, anniversary and other similar celebrations)
    • Any event that involves alcohol, tobacco, intoxicants and/or controlled dangerous substances
    • Gambling of any type
    • Car washes unless sponsored by City Schools, a City Schools organized parent group or a City Schools alumni organization
    • Balloon launches and other activities that result in the release of helium-filled balloons into the atmosphere, including balloon bouquets and presentations
    • Political activities (designed to campaign or solicit support for or opposition against a political candidate; campaign rally, fundraiser, meeting debate, forum or meeting; campaign for or against any pending ballot question, legislation or partisan election issue; using school facilities as a backdrop for political activities unless the user is not located on said school facilities)

    About the process to obtain an agreement

    How long does it take to get an agreement?

    For permits and right of entry agreements, please submit your application at least four weeks in advance of the planned event. Permit applications will be processed within two business days of receipt and will be emailed or mailed to you for your review, along with a statement of assessed fees. Please note that all fees must be paid in full at least five business days prior to the event.

    For leases and memoranda of understanding, please apply at least five months prior to the beginning of the requested use.

    About fees

    What are the fees?

    Please refer to the fee schedule.

    How do I pay fees?

    To pay by certified check, organizational check, or money order made payable to Board of School Commissioners send to

    Baltimore City Public Schools
    Real Estate and Permits
    200 E. North Avenue
    Room 409
    Baltimore, MD 21202

    Payments can be made in person by appointment only and only at the address above. Please do not pay school personnel. Cash or personal checks are not accepted.

    Do I need to make a donation or contribution to the school in order for my permit to be approved or to use the space for free?

    No, making a donation or contribution to the school will not help with issuing your permit, and will not affect the amount of the fee charged.

    Do nonprofit organizations have to pay fees?

    It depends. Fees are divided into categories covering building use, staffing that may be required (e.g., school police, custodian) and surcharges (e.g., for turf fields or use of stadium lights for athletic activities). Please refer to the fee schedule for more details.

    How do I apply for a fee waiver?

    City Schools does not waive fees for any organization, group or individual.

    Have additional questions? Please contact the Real Estate and Permits department.