January 19, 2023
For Immediate Release
Announcements and Press Releases
Baltimore City Board of School Commissioners resume hybrid approach for Public Board Meetings after Technical Issue
On January 24, the Baltimore City Board of School Commissioners will resume conducting hybrid public Board Meetings. The January 10 Board meeting was conducted virtually due to technical issues with equipment used for producing in-person meetings. Hybrid public Board meetings will allow those presenting to the Board or giving public comment an opportunity to attend Board meetings virtually or in person at the North Avenue headquarters.
Changes regarding public Board meetings include:
Seating: The Boardroom will have 20 seats total, with 15 seats reserved for recognized groups and public comment in-person sign-ups. Any seats not used by in-person speakers will be available to all on a first-come, first-served basis.
Public comment sign-up:
- Members of the public interested in submitting comments can either sign up in person or by email.
- To sign up by email, please send a message to Leatrice Jones at LLJones02@bcps.k12.md.us between 4:30 - 5:45 p.m. or until the 10 speaking opportunities have been taken.
- To sign up in-person for comment, visit the North Avenue headquarters building between 4:30 p.m. to 5:45 p.m. the day of the Regular Board Meeting. Check in at the security desk and ask to sign up for public comment. A member of the CEO’s Ombudsman’s office will come and record the request until the 10 speaking opportunities have been taken.
- In addition to in-person testimony, the current public comment submission options remain in place: submitting an e-mail no longer than 400 words that will be read aloud by the Board Executive, submitting a three-minute video that will be broadcasted during the meeting, and giving a virtual testimony during the live meeting.
When signing up, please indicate which option you will use to relay comments. Submissions must include the following:
- Email Address,
- Telephone Number (if applicable),
- School / Civic / Community Affiliation,
- Agenda topic which the resistant wishes to speak, and,
- the format to be used: (a) commenting live, (b) submitting a video, or (c) an email to be read
- If you are planning to provide a video, please attach it.
Virtual option still available: City Schools will continue to provide links via Microsoft Teams for members of the community to attend virtually.
For questions and concerns regarding this change, please contact the School Board Office or visit www.baltimorecityschools.org/board-meetings.