WHO is THOMAS JEFFERSON ELEMENTARY – MIDDLE SCHOOL?
The Thomas Jefferson School, now known at Thomas Jefferson Elementary - Middle School was established in 1925. Over the past ninety (90) years, thousands of students have graduated and transitioned into top performing high schools, colleges and very successful careers. The quality of the academic instruction and the investment in our youth has sustained our community of learning in the past and ensures our success in the future.
Our Mission is to offer a first-rate academic education in a caring environment. We focus on the total growth of the developing child, touching hearts as well as minds and encompassing social, physical, emotional and cultural needs in addition to the academic welfare. We teach students to become inquirers, thinkers, communicators, risk-takers, and to be knowledgeable, principled, caring, open-minded, well-balanced, and reflective.
We want Thomas Jefferson students to become critical and compassionate thinkers, lifelong learners and informed participants in local and world affairs, conscious of the shared humanity that binds all people together, while respecting the variety of cultures and attitudes that make for the richness of life.
Our philosophy is to focus on the total growth of the developing child, touching hearts as well as minds. We consider the social, physical, emotional and cultural needs in addition to the academic welfare of children when making decisions. We want our students to be conscious of the shared humanity that binds all people together while respecting a variety of cultures and attitudes.
The vision of Thomas Jefferson is to implement a comprehensive instructional program that is focused on developing students that are 21st century College and career ready and are prepared to be outstanding global citizens.
Thomas Jefferson Elementary – Middle School…
· builds and reinforces students’ sense of identity and cultural awareness.
· fosters students’ recognition and development of universal human values.
· stimulates curiosity and inquiry in order to foster a spirit of discovery and enjoyment of learning.
· equips students with the skills to learn and acquire knowledge, individually or collaboratively and to apply these skills and knowledge accordingly across a broad range of areas.
· engages students in expanded learning activities such as gifted and advanced studies, Maryland Green initiatives and Arts Everyday enriched and enhanced lessons.