Dear Hilton Families,
On behalf of Hilton Elementary School #21, I am elated to welcome you to the 2017-2018 school year. It remains an honor and privilege to serve as your principal. I am proud of the excellent achievement of our scholars, our talented and caring staff, and all of our committed parents. We will continue to build upon, and heighten our long standing reputation of high academic standards as we prepare our scholars for college and careers. The elementary years are crucial times of development for both scholars and families. As the demands of delivering quality instruction become increasingly more challenging, it is imperative that we maintain strong home-school connections.
At Hilton Elementary #21, we ask that you support your child’s success by ensuring that he/she:
1. Attends school every day, on time, and remains all day
2. Comes prepared for learning and in his/her school uniform
3. Reads daily to enhance literacy skills and develop a love for reading
4. Shares school experiences with you so that you are aware of his/her school life
5. Knows that you expect him/her to succeed in school
Please note that the doors of Hilton Elementary #21 will open for the 2017-2018 school year on Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 7:45 a.m. Breakfast will not be available on the first day of school. Also, there will be a staggered entry for both our pre- kindergarten and kindergarten scholars only. Pre-kindergarten and kindergarten students with last names beginning from A-L will begin school on Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 7:45 a.m. and remain until 11:00 a.m. Pre-kindergarten and kindergarten students with last names beginning with M-Z will begin school on Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 7:45 a.m. and remain until 2:25 p.m. All pre-kindergarten and kindergarten students should report to school at 7:45 a.m. on Thursday, September 7th, and remain all day.
We also ask that you adhere to the following logistics below for the 2017-2018 school year:
· The bell schedule is 7:45 a.m. for entry and 2:25 p.m. for dismissal.
· Breakfast will be served daily from 7:15 a.m. until 7:40 a.m.
· Instruction begins promptly at 7:45 a.m.
· All student and parent entry will be through the playground door closest to the cafeteria located on Bateman Avenue. Any student entering after 8:00 a.m. should enter through the front doors located on Carlisle Ave. Students entering after 8:00 a.m. will be considered late and marked in accordance.
· Student dismissal will be on the back playground for all students . Pre-k and k students will be dismissed directly from their classrooms (parents should enter from their playground doors located on Bateman Avenue). Students in grades 1, 2, and 5 will use the center playground doors on Bateman Avenue. Students in grades 3 and 4 will exit using the playground doors closest to the cafeteria on Bateman Avenue.
Hilton strives to exceed the District’s expectations in student performance. To that end, the staff will be engaged in a variety of extensive professional development opportunities monthly. These sessions will be provided once a month and students will be dismissed early (11:15 a.m.) to make this possible. It should be noted that there will no extended day programs offered during the identified early release days. The half days are as follows: Sept. 29, 2017, October 13, 2017, November 17, 2017, December 15, 2017, January 12, 2018, February 2, 2018, March 2, 2018, April 20, 2018, and May 18, 2018.
In closing, I look forward to a phenomenal year filled with many rich memories! Once again, welcome back. I invite you to join me, along with the entire Hilton staff in working together to promote a culture of excellence!
Danielle Henson, Principal