The history of public education in Locust Point can be traced beyond Francis Scott Key and School #76. As early as 1851, records indicate schooling was available, at least for girls, in an unnamed citizen's personal residence. We do know that the Female Grammar School #16 was formally identified in 1866.


    In 1877, The Board of School Commissioners moved to develop a building to house a school. In 1881, the City Council gave permission to lease land, and in 1882, the students moved into their new school at Hull and Clement Streets. At about the same time, boys became a part of the student body.


    Apparently, there is no record to indicate how Female Grammar School #16 became Francis Scott Key School #76. There have been suggestions that the City Fathers wanted to remember Fort McHenry, Francis Scott Key, and the Spirit of 1776 by renumbering the school for the patriot.


    In January of 1919, the school was completely destroyed by fire. By 1921, the school was built on the present campus. The land originally was part of an estate known as The Vineland. Additional property was purchased in 1924 from the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.


    In 1934, the school became a combination of elementary-junior high school. Soon, an addition for a branch of the Enoch Pratt Free Library was added. A cafeteria was added in the 1960s was the last major change.


    The building we are dedicating today had been years in the making. The actual move of students and staff occurred during the 1987-88 school year. By early 1988, the move was completed, and the old building was demolished in the summer.


    The Francis Scott Key Elementary/Middle School Family welcomes all to visit the new building and share old memories.




    Note: We wish to acknowledge portions of this brief history were based on a history prepared by Rudy L. Metzger, life long resident of Locust Point and former Francis Scott Key PTA President.