Rezoning Feasibility Study
Baltimore City Public Schools recently concluded a rezoning feasibility study to identify and assess the feasibility of potential approaches the district can consider for future rezoning efforts. Please note that this study is not an actual rezoning of boundaries; it is a study to identify and assess the feasibility of potential options to address the challenges of balancing enrollment and capacity across the district.
The study includes:
- The background data report with historic and projected enrollment and utilization trends.
- The community meeting report detailing the feedback from the community engagement process. In the spring of 2017 City Schools held meetings across the district to hear the community’s thoughts on their values and priorities regarding school zones. The Baltimore City School community responded with a great variety of input about balancing enrollment and building capacity, equitable program access, minimizing disruption for students, and the desire for neighborhood schools.
- The evaluation of potential approaches report which describes the potential approaches explored, ranging from options that introduce varying levels of school choice for elementary school students as well as options that maintain student assignment to schools based on geographic boundaries. Each approach explored in the final report was evaluated based on analyses that determine how well the approach addresses community and district values and priorities as well as meets the needs of students and addresses utilization and efficiency, equity of program access, transportation, and student commutes.
Next Steps for Rezoning Analysis and Engagement
Through the annual portfolio review process, the district will
- Conduct ongoing analyses to identify specific challenges in areas across the city and determine the impacts of various approaches to school zoning
- Identify the related zoning and enrollment policies needed to efficiently align student populations to building capacity in a comprehensive manner
- Engage school communities to gather input on the various potential approaches to meet the long-range goals of the district.
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.