ROLAND PARK MIDDLE SCHOOL 6th Grade MATHEMATICS ( 607/608)
Mrs. M. Calalang email@example.com
Rules/Procedures for Mathematics Classes
1. Line up quietly outside the classroom and wait for your teacher to admit you.
2. Never enter the room without the teacher being present.
3. Enter the room quickly/quietly and take your assigned seat.
4. Copy the homework and begin the drill or warm - up.
5. Follow the directions carefully and raise your hand to participate in class.
6. Remain seated at all times unless given permission by the teacher to move.
7. Chewing of gum, use of electronics and eating while in class ( unless it is snack time) is prohibited in the classroom.
8. Dismissal from class is by direction of the teacher only.
9. It is the responsibility of the student to make up all missed work due to absences and/or school related activities.
10. Parent conferences are conducted as a team. To schedule a conference, contact our 6th grade team leader ( Mr. Williamson ) via email or phone.
11. All mathematics work should be completed neatly and on time. Be proud of your work.
12. Late work policy: Work that is one or two days late will have 20% deducted from
the grade. Work that is late more than two days late will not be accepted.
13. Lavatory usage:
a) ask permission ( raise your fist) b) sign out c) use the hall pass d) sign in
1. Materials: two (2) sharpened pencils with erasers, a graphed composition notebook, red pens, protective plastic sheets, binder with 3 sections for homework, classwork and drills, and loose – leaf papers.
2. Notebook sections: a) homework b) classwork c) drills
3. Drills are submitted at the end of each week together with the tracking sheet provided. It is the responsibility of the student to keep and track the drills and their scores. Class notes will be maintained in the math notebook.
4. Show all calculations. Answers only will not be accepted.
5. Coach class meets on Thursday from 3:05 PM until 3:35 PM.
6. Grading Criteria: Quizzes- 20%; Assessments – 20%; Homework – 15%; Classwork -20 %; Drills – 5 %; Participation – 10%; Project- 10 %
7. Behavior Policy – First Offense- Warning; Second Offense – Name on the board; Third Offense – Check on Name ( Detention 10 mins) ; Fourth Offense – ( Removal from class and Phone Call)
8. 6th Grade Curriculum
All six grade classes are adapting the Math Springboard Curriculum this year. Math Springboard has a textbook and a digital curriculum that the students can access using their student portal. The program needs Google Chrome as an internet browser to work.
9. Course Description
Springboard ( College Board) program provides a roadmap for attaining the knowledge and skills students require for success in Advanced Placement courses, in college – level work, and in careers. Based Common Core State Standards for Mathematics and current research on best instructional practices, Springboard use a “back-mapping” instructional design that starts with the end in mind, namely, the skills and knowledge students need to use mathematics effectively and to demonstrate that ability through performance on various assessments. ( SpringBoard ,p xi, 2014)
The specific topics to be discussed are listed below.
Unit 1: Number Concepts
Unit 5: Geometric Concepts
Unit 2: Integers
Unit 6: Data Analysis
Unit 3: Expressions and Equations
Unit 7: Personal Financial Literacy
Unit 4: Ratios
For questions and concerns please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I prefer emails than phone calls since I do not have access to phone in my classroom. I will respond to your email within 2 business days.
Ingenuity Project 6th grade
Rules/Procedures for Mathematics Classes
1) Line up quietly outside the classroom and wait for your teacher to admit you.
2) Do not enter the room without the teacher being present.
3) Enter the room quickly/quietly and take your assigned seat.
4) Copy the homework into your Agenda Book and begin the drill in your composition book.
5) Follow ALL directions carefully and raise your hand to participate in class.
6) Remain seated at all times unless given permission by the teacher to move.
7) The use of gum, food, and beverages except for bottled water is prohibited in the classroom.
8) Lavatory usage: a) ask permission b) sign out c) use the hall pass d) sign in
9) Dismissal at the end of class is by the direction of the teacher.
Policies for Ingenuity Classes
1) Make up work: It is the responsibility of the student to make up all missed work due to a legal absence. The student will be given the same number of days he/she was absent to complete and turn in missed work.
2) The grade level office is to be contacted by parents/guardians to schedule all conferences.
3) Showing work: All mathematics work should be completed in pencil, neatly, and on time. Steps and calculations must be shown. Answers only will not be accepted.
Be proud of your work.
4) Late work policy: Work is expected to be completed on time, unless there is an emergency documented by a parent. Work that is one day late will have 10% deducted from the total grade. Work that is two days late will have 20% deducted from the final grade. Work submitted any more than two days late may be accepted at the discretion of the teacher.
5) Academic Honesty: All students are expected to turn in their own work. Students who copy another student’s work and students who allow their work to be copied are participating in academic dishonesty. Both students will receive a grade of zero for the assignment in question. Additionally, a conference will be held with the students and parents will be informed.
1) Equipment: two (2) sharpened pencils with erasers, a loose-leaf notebook with paper, a
composition book, a pencil sharpener, a red pen, and a highlighter.
2) Notebook sections: a) classwork handouts b) homework
3) Coach Class: Tuesdays from 3:05 pm to 3:35 pm (Ms. Calalang) or Thursdays from 3:05 to 3:35 pm (Mrs. Ross)
4) Grading Criteria: Tests-25%, Quizzes-30%, Homework-15%, Classwork/Drills-30%
5) There will be a replacement fee of $10 for each lost or damaged textbook or workbook
Ms. Calalang Calalang@bcps.k12.md.us
7) Homework assignments will be posted daily. We will share additional information about this shortly.
8) This year, we will be using the Remind texting app to notify you of upcoming activities. More information about Remind will be shared at Back to School night.
******************************************************Tear Off *********************************************************
Student’s name: ______________________________ Class: _______ Date: __________
Parent/Guardian’s signature: _______________________________
___ I have read the Classroom Rules and Policies sheet with my child.