NEW: Read a draft of the 2018 Master Plan and the accompanying presentation made to the Board of School Commissioners on October 9, 2018. City Schools is now gathering feedback. Please email your thoughts and comments to Kasey Mengel by Friday, November 9.
2017 Master Plan
The Bridge to Excellence in Public Schools Act (2002) requires Maryland's school districts to develop and implement a comprehensive master plan to improve student achievement and eliminate achievement gaps. This includes measuring progress toward federal and state performance standards and making adjustments based on data analysis aligned to district budgets.
Requirements to update the master plan are framed by this legislation:
- House Bill 999: Chapter 702: Commission on Innovation and Excellence in Education
- House Bill 412/Senate Bill 533: Assessment- Administration and Provision of Information
- Annotated Code of Maryland Education Articles: Section 7-203.3; Section 5-208 and Section 5-209
Timeline of 2017 plan development
- September 26: Draft plan submitted to the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE); overview of plan presented to the Board of School Commissioners
- September 27 to October 5: MSDE review and public comment period on draft plan
- October 10: Board vote on plan
- October 16: Plan and related documents submitted to MSDE
- October 17 to 31: Plan review
- November 17: Final submission to MSDE
- December 5: Plan presentation to the State Board of Education