May 19, 2023
Championships, innovative programs, exciting opportunities, and prestigious recognitions: there is always something to celebrate in City Schools!
Here are just a few of the good news items from this week:
Awards and Competitions
- Over 50 students from around the district participated in the K6 US Chess Nationals Championship with top players from 37 states. Congrats to the top players from City Schools: Benjamin from Thomas Johnson, who tied for third place and won the fourth-place trophy on tie breaks in the K6 U1400 section, and Spencer from Hampstead Hill, who tied for second place and won fifth place on tie breaks in the K5 U1200 section. Learn more about this event on their website.
- Congratulations to Jordan Flood, graduating senior of Paul Laurence Dunbar High School, and Tracey Barbour-Gillett, alumni of Western High School, for being honored by the CollegeBound Foundation with the Scholar of the Year and Distinguished Alumni Award, respectively. They will be celebrated and give speeches at the 35th annual CollegeBound Scholars’ Luncheon on Friday, July 28. See both honorees on College Bound’s Twitter account.
- City College teacher Lena Tashjian (Teacher of the Year finalist) won the Johns Hopkins Social Innovation Lab Award for $20,000 for the City College Writing Center. Congratulate her on City College’s Facebook page!
Student, Staff & School News
- Baltimore Montessori has a Seed to Table program at their school. The City Schools TV media team learned all about this program that encourages healthy eating, hands-on learning, and more! Watch their video on YouTube.
- This week was the first Student Government Association (SGA) Day at City Hall. SGA members from multiple schools worked with Bluford, Poly, City College, Western, Edmondson, BSA, and Digital Harbor. See photos from the SGA Day on Baltimore City Council’s Twitter account.
- The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra’s OrchKids celebrated its 15th anniversary with a special concert. Today the program helps 1,800 students in seven different schools learn and perform instrumental music. Learn more and see photos on the OrchKids Facebook page.
- Under Armour founder and executive chairman, Kevin Plank brought NFL great Ray Lewis to Poly to recognize Coach Kendall Peace-Able for being a community legend. See photos on Poly’s Facebook page.
- The district shares good news with staff every week in a newsletter called “Winning Wednesday.” REACH! decided to start its own version on Instagram! Follow them to see all the good news coming from REACH!
Have a great story to share? We want to know about it! Submit your ideas.
Previous Good News
Good News - April 21, 2023
Good News - April 14, 2023