Welcoming Families Back-to-School Toolkit
Back-to-school readiness is not just for students and schools. The new school year also presents an opportunity for school leaders to get families back to learning! Spending time developing relationships and cultivating a welcoming school environment prior to school opening will benefit your school all year round. Included below are tips and strategies that can make it easier to establish and expand school-family partnerships.
- Family-Friendly School Checklist (assess your school-family practices): Checklist tool
- Ways to Engage Families: Back-to-School Engagement Best Practices
- Help Families Get Involved: Volunteer Toolkit
- Important information for Title I school communities:
Parent Rights (English | Spanish)
District-level Parent Involvement Plan (English | Spanish)
There are many tools that can be used to connect with families around back to school. Below are instructions and sample scripts for several of them.
- ParentLink (robocall system, learn more): Instructions | Sample scripts
- School website: (learn more) Instructions | Sample welcome message
- Social media: Social media guidance | Tips for using social media effectively | Sample posts
(Please tag @baltcityschools and use #firstdayBaltimore on any back-to-school photos your school posts)
- Campus portal: Information | Newsletters
(Please remember to collect and correctly enter parent email addresses in Campus Portal.)