Our School ProgramsSuccess for All Reading ProgramSuccess for All is not an ordinary program in any way. Here is what is unique about Success for All:
- Cooperative learning is used all the time. Students work together productively to learn and take responsibility for one another.
- Technology is deeply embedded in daily teaching and learning.
- Students are highly motivated, engaged, noisy, and on task.
- The pace of instruction is fast, and the kids keep up with it.
- Every minute of teaching is well planned, exciting, and engaging.
- Learning is constantly monitored, and problems are solved the right way.
- Teachers teach the whole child—social and emotional learning, behavior, and cooperation are as important as academics.
- Professional development is top notch and going on every day. Teachers know their craft and apply it with intelligence, adapting it to their students' needs.
- Everyone is involved in support of student success—teachers, parents, community members, and the kids themselves.
- A facilitator from the school’s own faculty works with teachers every day to help every teacher succeed and grow in skill and sophistication.
- There is a strong research base in every component of SFA and in the program as a whole.
Physical Education plays a critical role in educating the whole student. The physical education program at Johnston Square Elementary is aligned with the Maryland Voluntary Statecurriculum andNational Standards. These standards are used to guide the instruction that takes place during Physical Education class. Thecurriculum alsoprovides for cross curricularactivities to help thestudents gain a deeperunderstanding for all academic areas. Thestudents are taught skills that they can use to enhancetheir quality of life. Some ofthe activitiesexplored are fitness concepts, ball skills,locomotor and nonlocomotor skills, gross and fine motor movements. Thestudents arechallengedeveryday to improvetheir overall fitness, health and well being.