"Maryland Homegrown School Lunch Week"
- Effort is to bring more locally grown foods into Maryland school lunches and feature efforts of each system
- Encourage the incorporation of local foods in school meals all year long
- Introduce the public, especially parents and students, to the benefits of eating locally and supporting Maryland’s farmers
- Underscore the importance of incorporating educational efforts about local food and nutrition into the core curriculum for Maryland public school students.
- Showcase curricula, menus, and how to find local products as tools to expand the program www.marylandfarmtoschool.org
- Increase support for preferential purchasing of local products for school meals
- Draw attention to Maryland’s farmers, producers, and distributors of local foods and highlight Maryland farmers
This week's featured items:
- Colora Orchards, Colora , MD- peaches & apples
- Baywater Greens, Salisbury , MD- cherry tomatoes, romaine, watermelon