The first step to becoming a principal or assistant principal in City Schools is eligibility. If you meet the minimum eligibility requirements, you may apply and be considered for school leader positions.
To be eligible for principal positions, candidates need:
To be eligible for assistant principal positions, candidates need:
- At least five years of formal leadership experience, including three years school leadership experience (e.g. assistant principal, department head, Instructional Leadership Team member)
- Valid Maryland Administrator I and Administrator II certification
- [For out-of-state applicants only] Three years of principal experience in the last seven years
- At least three years of formal leadership experience (e.g. department head, Instructional Leadership Team member)
- Valid Maryland Administrator I certification