Middle and high school principals | Deadline: ongoing
Middle and high school principals should print and review the Handbook on Interscholastic Athletics for guidance regarding your school’s athletics program. It includes information about scheduling required training for coaches, implementing regulations on student eligibility, and details of important information, including the following:
• Students must submit the Parent’s Permission to Participate in Interscholastic Athletics form.
• Students must have a physical examination and be certified to the school principal as being physically fit before they can try out for, practice with, or play on a school team.
• At the start of the season, teams must meet the minimum squad size noted in the handbook.
• No team shall practice or compete unless it is under the supervision of a coach or other certified person.
• A minimum of 20 calendar days must elapse between the first day of team practice and the first league or nonleague competition.
• Coaches must ensure that athletes have adequate access to drinking water at all times during practices and competitions.
• An individual player must participate in at least 10 days of practice prior to participation in a league or nonleague contest.
Please also review the updates in the Model Policy for Preseason-Practice Heat Acclimatization Guidelines for Student-Athletes.View other items in the June 16, 2015, Leadership Action Update