Early Admission to 1st Grade
Children who turn six between September 2 and October 15 may be eligible for early admission to 1st grade, if they demonstrate clearly that they are ready for the academic demands.
The window to apply for early admission to 1st grade is between April 16 and May 25.
Parents or guardians interested in early admission for their child will need to follow these steps:
- Check with your neighborhood school to get more details about early admission.
- Review the Early Admission packet.
- Complete the Early Admission Request form included in the packet and return it to City Schools, Early Learning Programs, 200 E. North Avenue, Room 308, Baltimore, MD 21202.
- Ask three people who know about child development and your child (including what he or she can do) —for example, a doctor, coach, teacher or pastor—to complete the checklists in the packet and send them straight to City Schools at the address above. Two of these people must be a teacher, paraeducator, principal, or other school-based staff member.
- Ensure that all paperwork is received by City Schools.
Specialists from Early Learning Programs will contact you to schedule a date to assess your child to determine her or his abilities. No studying is required, and there is no special preparation needed. The results of the assessments will be sent to you and the principal by July 1.