Addressing Bullying and Harassment
Students talk about the importance of preventing bullying. Watch more stories on Vimeo
All students have the right to a safe, supportive school environment, free from bullying and harassment. Maryland law and Board of School Commissioners policy require it, and City Schools is committed to it. The district takes all incidents of bullying and harassment seriously.
Reporting incidents of bullying or harassment
Option 1. Contact your child’s school to report the incident(s). The school principal (or designee) must investigate within two school days of receiving a report, and parents should expect to hear about resolution within two further school days. The principal also reports the investigation and action taken to the district office in this time frame, using this investigation form.Option 2. Complete a "Bullying, Harassment or Intimidation Reporting Form." Reports can be completed and submitted online or by printing out a hard copy (español) and submitting the completed form to the school. If you don't have access to a printer, copies can be obtained at your child’s school.
- Appropriate disciplinary action is taken, as outlined in the Code of Conduct.
If you are not satisfied with the investigation, please contact the CEO Ombudsman at 443-984-2020.
Resources for parents
Websites to visit:
- StopBullying.gov (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
- Parent Information: Bullying, Harassment, Intimidation (Maryland State Department of Education)
- Bullying at School and Online (Education.com)
Documents to download:
- Eliminating Bullying (National Association of Elementary School Principals)
- Bullies and Victims: Information for Parents (National Association of School Psychologists)
- What Every Parent Should Know About Bullying (Center for Safe Schools)
- What If Your Child Is the Bully? (PACER Center)
- A Brief Look at the Differences Between Teasing and Bullying (Jeff Dess)
- Bullying Prevention: Recommendations for Parents (Center for the Study and Prevention of Violence)
Resources for students
Websites to visit: