City Springs School supports the mission of Baltimore City Public Schools which is to create a pathway of successful learning for all the students by providing meaningful, challenging educational and cultural experiences that enrich students intellectually, socially, morally and emotionally. Since 1996, City Springs has been using the Direct Instruction curriculum, with great success.
City Springs School was named for the second oldest park in Baltimore City, Spring Square, where it is located. The school was completed at the end of 1966. The school opened in January of 1967. City Springs School became a charter school in the Fall of 2005.
City Springs Square, the oldest park in Baltimore, with exception of Mount Vernon Place, was acquired by the City in 1818. At that time, the upper end of the square's 1.4 acres was a public playground with sandboxes, swings, see-saws, and a small pavilion. The lower end was the neighbors' only public refuge for trees, grass and flowers. Two drinking fountains replaced the springs from which the square took its name. The Eastern Fountain still exists, forming a large square on the corner of Eden and Pratt Streets, which is adjacent to the playground of our school.
For aesthetic appreciation, three murals were commissioned to be placed in the building. The largest mural on the wall of the City Springs depicts the springs that the school replaced. Designed for touching and looking, this art was done by Olin Eussum.