Growing Great Leaders: School Leadership Development
Advancing leadership within City Schools
“Growing Great Leaders affords me the opportunities to get a taste of what [school leadership] is like while providing a lot of support to help me grow and develop further.” - 2013-14 Growing Great Leaders participant
Strong, dynamic leaders set the tone for success in our schools. They create environments where:
- Every student has access to excellent teaching and learning;
- Students graduate college and career ready;
- Talented people are supported, developed and retained; and
- Families and communities are engaged.
Great schools require strong leadership both within and outside of the classroom.
City Schools continues to build a culture that cultivates, recognizes and supports effective leadership. To that end, City Schools created Growing Great Leaders: School Leadership Development initiative to identify and cultivate aspiring leaders with high potential for school leadership in the future.
Through Growing Great Leaders, City Schools will:
1. Retain our most talented staff - Increase skills and retention of our most talented school-based staff members
2. Prepare strong candidates for leadership - Increase the pool of qualified candidates with proven skills for school leadership
positions; improve support and resources for school leadership teams
3. Increase retention of school leaders, specifically principals - Better prepare and identify school match for incoming principals
As a teacher, how will Growing Great Leaders benefit me?ü Develop your leadership skills and provide direct exposure to specific school leadershipresponsibilities in a lower-stakes way before you become a principal
ü Provide you with the opportunity to make a greater impact at your school by leading otheradults
ü Creates opportunities to collaborate with like-minded peers in other schools and district officeleaders