Ravens, Maryland Food Bank, Giant, and Matthew A. Henson Elementary school come together for the community.
The Principal’s Message:
Dear Matthew A. Henson Elementary School Family,
I hope that you had an enjoyable summer and that you are excited about the opportunities that await you in the upcoming year. I am more confident than ever that we will engage and move our scholars effectively this upcoming year. Due to all of your outstanding work, Matthew A. Henson Elementary continues to be a district leader and has a wonderful learning environment for our scholars. I am looking forward to working alongside you to make Matthew A. Henson Elementary School the premiere elementary school in Baltimore.
there is still a lot of work to do and we are very proud of our accomplishments
from the 2015-2016 school year. Please
take a moment to review MAHES Points of Pride:
- Math assessments showed significant gains and four out of five grade
levels outperformed network averages on i-Ready.
- 2014-2015 PARCC results revealed that 3rd – 5th
graders outpaced network and district averages in math performance.
- Literacy assessments showed significant gains with 3rd
and 4th graders outperforming network averages on i-Ready.
- Matthew A. Henson Elementary School finished tenth in Baltimore
City for First in Math.
- Matthew A. Henson Elementary School finished third in Baltimore
City for the Baltimore Urban Debate League (BUDL).
- Attendance improved approximately two percent in 2015-2016 and we
hope to see continuous improvement in this area.
- Matthew A. Henson Elementary School launched our first
out-of-state college visit, with approximately sixty 5th graders
visiting the historically black, Delaware State University.
- Matthew A. Henson Elementary School hosted our first
Daddy-Daughter Dance with approximately 200 scholars and father figures in
- Working in conjunction with the Maryland Food Bank, we were able
to disseminate 30,000 pounds of food to families and community members.
- Fulton Baptist Church supported our Back-to-School kickoff and
helped sponsor digital photography and chess classes for selected scholars.
- Omega Psi Phi Fraternity donated time and resources to support
field trips and Career Day.
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority donated time and resources to support a
myriad of activities including Career Day, Perfect Attendance Celebration,
uniforms for cheerleaders, and books for scholars.
Matthew A. Henson Elementary School
The School Day
The instructional day begins at 8:00 a.m. and ends at 2:40 p.m.
Breakfast will start at 7:30 a.m. and end at 8:00 a.m.
Dismissal & Pickup Procedures
Scholars will be dismissed at 2:40 p.m. from their classrooms.
- Pre-K and Kindergarten scholars are dismissed from their classrooms at 2:40 p.m.
- 1st – 5th grade scholars are dismissed on to the school playground at 2:40 p.m.
- Scholars may wait to be picked up by parents in the main lobby.
Students are considered late at 8:15 a.m.
Matthew A. Henson has a mandatory school uniform policy. We applaud those parents who have supported this policy and made sure that their children are in uniform each day. Visitors comment on how great our students look. Thank you for your continued cooperation. We continue to have shirts on sale for $10.00. Please call the school to find out what sizes are available and the days that uniforms are on sale.
If your child does not have the immunizations required by the Maryland Health Department, you will receive a letter notifying you of the shots he/she is missing. Please comply with the request in your letter so that your child is not removed from school. You may refer to page 14 of the Scholar Handbook for Vaccine Requirements. Your child will receive this handbook during the first week of school.
We are eager to get more parent and community involvement. We are looking for business and community organizations to partner with our school. Volunteers should come to the school office to sign our volunteer book so that they can receive credit for the hours they work. Volunteers will receive incentives for time donated. We also have a PTA. Please look for information from PTA President and Technology Room Lead, Ms. Marlayna Davis.