Dear Windsor Hills Families and Community Members,
It is with bittersweet emotion that after four years as principal at Windsor Hills Elementary Middle School, I will be returning to Francis Scott Key Elementary Middle School to lead the school in which I started my teaching career a dozen years ago.
Over the past four years, I have had the pleasure of meeting wonderful students, parents, teachers, staff, and community members. In a collaborative effort that included hard work, dedication, and a willingness to grow, we made significant gains in student achievement and culture and climate. Without a strong staff, high-quality teachers, dedicated parents, and a supportive community, we would not have been able to transform WHEMS. What we achieved over the past four years has been remarkable, and it is worth celebrating. Please find some of our accomplishments below:
Highlights at Windsor Hills
· Increased comprehension in grades K through 2 by 41% (increased from 13% the year before my leadership to 54% during the 16-17 SY)
· 60% of students on or above grade level as measured by Success For All (increase of 28% from SY 2013-2014’s first year of implementation)
· 4th and 5th Grade iReady math ranked 1st in Network 1 in terms of growth and 1st and 2nd in terms of overall score (this includes outperforming Mt. Washington and Cross Country)
· Every elementary grade level outperformed the district on iReady in math and ELA in SY 16-17
· Over 50% of the students made projected growth or higher on math and ELA iReady assessments
· 66% of our Middle School students made one year or higher growth on the American Reading Company tracking systems
· 100% of our Pre-K students met proficiency in math and ELA on EOY Pre-K Assessment
· 76% of 8th graders had High School Choice during the 15-16 SY
· PBIS Gold School/Creation of The Game Room
· Decrease Chronic Absence Rate – 8% decrease over 3 years
· Maryland Green School
· Decreased suspensions from 67 students to 29 students over the course of 4 years
· Implementation of Restorative Practices
· Functioning Student Support Team (SST) (44 initial meetings during 16-17 that included a total 50 follow-up meetings).
· Functioning SST Team that leads to better decision making at the Child Study Team (CST) meetings
· Leveraged HOPE Health Clinicians to have the highest % of eligible students of any school with HOPE Health Systems.
· Middle School “Choice” two times a week to expose students to a variety of course offerings
· Part of the Initial Business Volunteers Advisory Board
· School Make-Over with a $20,000 grant through Action for Healthy Kids-CSX-City Year
· Distributed leadership to staff through coaching, opportunity and encouragement.
As of the time of this letter, there has not been a Principal appointed to take over at WHEMS. I ensure you that I will be supporting the transition process by working closely with the new principal to support our forward momentum.
I wish you all the best and thank you for having such a positive impact on the lives of children. Windsor Hills Elementary Middle School and the community will always have a special place in my heart.